Location: Hingham, Massachusetts US
Job Number: 15968
Position Title: Merchant
The Merchant position is responsible for leading the strategy, development, and selection of merchandise to optimize sales growth and contribute to bottom line profit for their given department(s). This position executes quarterly buy strategies at the style/color level, exhibits a passion and eye for product, conducts in-depth analysis, both financial and trend, and leads collaborative cross-functional partnerships. The Merchant will lead, motive and develop a team of assistants and associates (1 to 3).
What We Offer:
• Growth! Here at Talbots our goal is to give you the tools to grow beyond this position and into the next.
• Condensed Work Week! If we have no work obligations, our Life-Work balance approach allows for us to start our weekend at 1pm on Fridays.
• Complete Benefit Package! Our benefits kick off the first day of the month after your start date! Discover more about our full benefits package here. We have competitive time off, including paid time to volunteer within the community.
• Merchandise Discounts! 50% off Talbots and our Haven Well Within brand as well as local business discounts (where applicable)!
What You’ll Do:
• Directly responsible for the strategy, development, and collaborative execution of the product to optimize sales growth and contribute to bottom line profit.
• Analyze business performance on a weekly basis and present results to cross-functional and leadership teams.
• Hindsight prior seasons through extensive product, trend, and competitive analysis to plan for the next season.
• Build seasonal frameworks, work collaboratively to ensure strategies are in place to maximize business opportunities as well as seasonal trends.
• Drive partnership with Design team to evolve our proven core product and introduce merchandise that is new, trend right, works within our brand filter, and moves the business forward.
• Utilize both product strategies and analytical results to plan all merchant buys, in accordance to budget, for each quarter and present investments at product investment review.
• Utilize merchandizing buy tool to plan all merchandise buys to the style/color level.
• Drive partnership with Planning and Inventory Management on reviewing sales, receipt, and style/color counts; partner on managing in-season business sales results and mark down cadence.
• Drive partnership with Sourcing to achieve target IMU plans, make seasonal fabric projections, participate in discussions on costs, deliveries, and other vendor related matters.
• Drive partnership with Visual and Marketing teams to ensure product placement, presentation and storytelling are all executed according to strategy or current business trend.
• Develop understanding of the Talbots customer and where she shops. Curate product selections that are complimentary to the brand and to the customer’s preference.
• Responsible for developing strong, collaborative, partnerships with cross-functional teams across channels and other business areas; approach all working relationships in a tactful and effective way.
• Lead, motivate, and develop all direct reports; foster collaborative work environment and build strength within the team.
• Initiate and perform additional ad hoc analytical assignments as requested.
• Maintain knowledge of catalog and web industry trends, shop competition frequently.
• Analyze direct business metrics, evaluate customer demand performance in conjunction with sales.
• Evaluate and understand department catalog space and related demand/sales.
• Oversee and attend catalog layout reviews and web thumbnail reviews, ensure accuracy and placement.
• Oversee review of all catalog and web content for department as released, work with teams to ensure accurate product representation.
• Maintain knowledge of retail industry trends, shop competition and visit Talbots stores frequently.
• Work with Allocation partners to analyze performance in store volume group segmentations as well as climate groups.
• Oversee and attend store floor set layout reviews, ensure accuracy and placement.
• Planning & Inventory Management
• Visual Merchandising & Web Studio
• PD team
• Marketing & Ecommerce
• Store / Field Team
Who You Are:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5+ of experience in a buying, planning and/or inventory management role
• Management experience preferred, with keen ability to develop and motivate team members
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with intermediate level to advanced Microsoft Excel skills
• Innate sense of fashion and ability to analyze and translate trends
• Possess analytical skills, ability to draw smart conclusions and make thoughtful recommendations
• Strong organizational skills, ability to multitask, prioritize and complete tasks on tight deadlines
• Excellent attention to detail, understands importance of accuracy and thorough completion of tasks
• Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
• Strong writing and presentation skills
• Must be able to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment
• Must be a creative and critical thinker, with the ability to problem solve
• Must be self-motivated, driven to succeed and have a passion for learning
Community / Marketing Title: Merchant (Hybrid)
Talbots is a leading omni-channel specialty retailer of women's clothing, shoes and accessories. Established in 1947, the company is known for modern classic style that's both timeless and timely, fine quality craftsmanship and gracious service. At Talbots relationships are the key to our business, we hire individuals who bring new ideas to the table, understand smart risk taking and can enhance an already thriving culture. With a commitment to offer modern classic style for every body type, through a full range of sizes, inclusive to every woman in your life.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Talbots is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. Hiring decisions are based upon a candidate's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration and are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category protected by applicable law. Talbots is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to perform the essential duties of the position you are seeking or to participate in the application process please contact email@example.com. Talbots will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified applicants or employees, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business.
PositionType_Description: Full Time
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hingham, Massachusetts US