Assistant Merchant - Activewear
Location: Hingham, Massachusetts US
Job Number: 11657
Position Title: Asst Merchant
This position is responsible for actively assisting the Merchant with the strategy, development, and selection of merchandise while supporting the department through the entire product lifecycle. This position is responsible for departmental reporting, conducts in-depth analysis, both financial and trend, works collaboratively with cross functional partners, handles purchase order entering and reconciliation, and expertly manages all departmental samples for various meetings and reviews.
- Prepare weekly/monthly/quarterly reporting and assist Merchant in analyzing performance; initiate and perform additional ad hoc analytical assignments as requested
- Enter seasonal purchase orders by style, color, and size
- Monitor and track purchase orders and inventory through receipt reconciliation process
- Order, track, and organize samples for every season; ensure all photo samples are accurate and follow proper protocol for incorrect samples
- Present sample hand off and prepare appropriate documentation for corporate visual teams for catalog layouts, web photo shoots, and store floor sets.
- Develop strong, collaborative, partnerships with cross functional teams across channels and other business areas
- Assist the Merchant in the selection of merchandise and assortment planning
- Assist and support Merchant in preparation for merchandise investment reviews
- Provide data for copy cards for all items in catalog
- Review shot sheets for catalog, ensure all product is being shot and has appropriate selling space
- Prepare for and attend catalog layout reviews and web thumbnail reviews, ensure accuracy and placement
- Review and correct all catalog and web content for department as released, work with teams to ensure accurate product representation
- Maintain knowledge of catalog and web industry trends, shop competition and visit Talbots stores frequently
- Prepare for and attend store floor set layout reviews, ensure accuracy and placement
- Work with inventory management team to align on assortment plans and store strategies
- Maintain knowledge of retail industry trends, shop competition and visit Talbots stores frequently
- Bachelor’s degree
- 0 - 2 years experience in a buying, planning, and/or inventory management role preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Innate sense of fashion and ability to analyze and translate trends
- Possess analytical skills, ability to draw smart conclusions and make thoughtful recommendations
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multitask, prioritize and complete tasks on tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail, understands importance of accuracy and thorough completion of tasks
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Must be able to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Must be a creative and critical thinker, with the ability to problem solve
- Must be self motivated, driven to succeed and have a passion for learning
Community / Marketing Title: Assistant Merchant - Activewear
Talbots is a leading omni-channel specialty retailer of women's clothing, shoes and accessories. Established in 1947, the company is known for modern classic style that's both timeless and timely, fine quality craftsmanship and gracious service. At Talbots relationships are the key to our business, we hire individuals who bring new ideas to the table, understand smart risk taking and can enhance an already thriving culture. With a commitment to offer modern classic style for every body type, through a full range of sizes, inclusive to every woman in your life.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Talbots is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. Hiring decisions are based upon a candidate's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration and are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category protected by applicable law. Talbots is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to perform the essential duties of the position you are seeking or to participate in the application process please contact email@example.com. Talbots will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified applicants or employees, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business.
PositionType_Description: Full Time
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hingham, Massachusetts US