Manager, Technical Design - Dresses (Knit & Woven) and Woven Tops
Location: New York, New York US
Job Number: 8460
Position Title: Mgr Tech Design
The Technical Design Manager is responsible for overseeing a team of Technical Designers within a category (or categories), whose function is to assess business needs by monitoring the workflow of their department, supporting the staff in trouble shooting technical issues, meeting timelines, prioritizing tasks, and delegating or absorbing workflow. Supervise the transition of product styles from design concept and first prototype, to a final pre-production fit approval process. This leader will develop, and train team members as needed, in various areas of technical design, and collaborate with agent partners, sourcing, product development, design, and merchandising to ensure the fit, quality, delivery, and business practices are achieved and upheld. Demonstrate the company’s values and practices by maintaining effective collaborative relationships, taking pride in the company and brand, while embracing diversity.
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent; ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories.
- Protect brand integrity and size and fit consistency through managing fit continuity within the product category and improving and upholding construction standards.
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent in order to establish the initial spec and construction detail.
- Create and roll out fit blocks, which represent collaboration between design for aesthetic and technical design for construction methods, balance and fit.
- Document the fit results, deliver clear communication through comments / specs / diagrams / photos and review of block patterns.
- Travel to Agent offices and/or factories to work with the technical teams to fit first samples, troubleshoot, educate, and understand factory capabilities.
- Lead and mentor team on fit evaluation, balance, and proportion of fit. Develop direct reports to maximize their strengths and identify opportunities to improve skills.
- Lead category and cross-functional meetings as appropriate.
- Represent and/or lead assigned projects within the department.
- Monitor department workload within team to manage workflow and business needs as they change seasonally.
- Ongoing communication with overseas offices regarding T&A’s, tracking, and product execution.
- Ensure metrics are maintained for department.
- Ensure team is following up on flow of comments, samples, supporting communication with cross-functional partners on T&A maintenance and meeting seasonal deadlines.
- Make recommendations on garment construction that produces best results to each factory.
- Evaluate current processes and make recommendations for any process changes that would maximize efficiencies.
- Identify and proactively engage business partners when issues arise with recommendations for viable options/solutions.
- Identify potential production, quality, and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure best results for each factory while keeping brand integrity.
- Foster open communication and team environment with all business partners; receive constructive feedback professionally.
- Coach and train Technical Designers to enhance skills needed to perform open communication, fitting, and technical skills.
- Develop tools to help Technical Designers work efficiently and smartly while maintaining standards of excellence.
- Bachelor’s Degree, in a related field of study, or equivalent functional experience
- 10+ years’ experience in technical design and/or patternmaking and minimum of 5 years technical design management
- Expert in grading, construction standards, and manufacturing methods
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong organizational capabilities
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot and problem solve
- Ability to build collaborative relationships across departments and divisions
- Flexible/adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Strong computer knowledge (WEB PDM, Outlook, Microsoft, Adobe Applications), or other Tech Pack systems
- Ability to travel overseas 2-3 times per year
Community / Marketing Title: Manager, Technical Design - Dresses (Knit & Woven) and Woven Tops
Talbots is a leading omni-channel specialty retailer of women's clothing, shoes and accessories. Established in 1947, the company is known for modern classic style that's both timeless and timely, fine quality craftsmanship and gracious service. At Talbots relationships are the key to our business, we hire individuals who bring new ideas to the table, understand smart risk taking and can enhance an already thriving culture. With a commitment to offer modern classic style for every body type, through a full range of sizes, inclusive to every woman in your life.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Talbots is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. Hiring decisions are based upon a candidate's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration and are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category protected by applicable law. Talbots is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to perform the essential duties of the position you are seeking or to participate in the application process please contact email@example.com. Talbots will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified applicants or employees, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business.
PositionType_Description: Full Time
Location_formattedLocationLong: New York, New York US