Director Planning - Outlet
Location: Hingham, Massachusetts US
Job Number: 5894
Position Title: Dir Merchandise Planning
This strategic role manages the planning process, analyzes business performance and recommends financial strategy to ensure merchandise department financial parameters are achieved in the Outlet channel. Responsible for financial sales, gross margin and inventory plans in a particular group of products. Assures the most profitable use of Talbots’ inventory through sales, markdown and stock strategies. Recruits and trains top talent. The position will partner with Merchandising, Company Planning and Logistics to ensure alignment in strategy and execution throughout the supply chain.
- Direct and lead planning team to partner with Company Planning and Merchandising to drive the performance of your product areas. Direct the communication of seasonal strategy to all levels
- Establish preseason category targets for sales, gross margin and turn levels.
- Responsible for planners’ plans for sales, margin and turnover goals preseason and lead planners in season to manage the open to buy.
- Develop and assure markdown strategies are maximizing profit and inventory liquidation across stores and direct.
- Approve the direction and analysis of the Corporate Volume Groups. Monitor store performance and assess opportunities.
- Develop specific reports to support the business and direct ad hoc reporting as needed to drive or react to the current or future business needs
- Partner with the inventory management group to ensure allocation and replenishment to stores are executed as planned to achieve the company’s sales, inventory and margin goals
- Ensure assortments meet the financial objectives of the company.
- Provide leadership, insight and results for any meeting presenting or discussing the financial strategy, pre-season plan or forecast as indicated by the business calendar
- Participate in store trips focusing on merchandise content, and store operations.
- Determine and direct team projects to expand planning and allocation capabilities and efficiencies.
- Act as functional expert on cross functional task forces to drive overall profitability and efficiency
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years of softline planning experience, which includes strong knowledge of distribution and buying
- Managerial experience preferred
- Direct experience preferred
- Ability to think objectively and quickly interpret meaningful themes from quantitative and qualitative data
- Ability to use logic to solve problems
- Able to effectively present ideas and direction to others
- Able to build strong relationships with a diverse group of business partners
- Demonstrate excellent listening, written and oral communication skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel required
- Oracle Retail Planning preferred
- JDA Arthur or SAS Planning a plus
- Experience with or a strong ability to learn reporting/data warehousing tools preferred
- Possess excellent organization and time management skills
- Possess a strong sense of urgency and a high level of attention to detail
- Must be organized, disciplined, and able to work under pressure
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel assigned to this job.
Community / Marketing Title: Director Planning - Outlet
Talbots is a leading omni-channel specialty retailer of women's clothing, shoes and accessories. Established in 1947, the company is known for modern classic style that's both timeless and timely, fine quality craftsmanship and gracious service. At Talbots relationships are the key to our business, we hire individuals who bring new ideas to the table, understand smart risk taking and can enhance an already thriving culture. With a commitment to offer modern classic style for every body type, through a full range of sizes, inclusive to every woman in your life.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Talbots is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. Hiring decisions are based upon a candidate's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration and are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category protected by applicable law. Talbots is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to perform the essential duties of the position you are seeking or to participate in the application process please contact email@example.com. Talbots will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified applicants or employees, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business.
PositionType_Description: Full Time
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hingham, Massachusetts US