Director of Benefits
Location: Hingham, Massachusetts US
Job Number: 7836
Position Title: Dir Benefits
Directs the Talbots Health, Welfare (H&W) benefit plans. Responsible for determining and delivering medical/dental/life plans, leave programs, Wellness programs, pretax spending accounts. This position is the primary partner with our H&W Broker team, which allows Talbots to remain current on industry trends and assure we have a competitive position in the area of H&W Plans. Position develops annual benefit offerings and leads the annual renewal and Open Enrollment processes. Partners with internal and external counsel to remain current on all related regulations. Directs staff to assure programs are in compliance, especially with regard to Health Care Reform.
- Direct staff in the administration of Talbots employee H&W and Retirement plans which may include medical, dental, life, leave, wellness programs, pretax spending accounts, pension and 401(k).
- Oversee company benefit programs/policies and assure they are administered consistently across the organization. Directly and through staff, provide expert counsel to employees, management and HR on the interpretation of policies. Assure plans are in compliance.
- Supports development of the short-term and long-term benefits strategy.
- In partnership with Broker, considered the subject matter expert with respect to all benefit programs. Consults Legal, Brokers, Vendors to resolve plan/participant issues. Oversee file feeds for assigned plans.
- Assure the department is in compliance with all Federal and State laws governing benefits (i.e. ERISA, ACA, HIPAA, FMLA, COBRA, etc.). Monitor changes in regulations. Prepare and file Form 5500’s, support plan audits, manage required mailings, etc.
- Direct and oversee the open enrollment process, including the development and communication of education materials. Approves all communications.
- Oversee the HR website, mytalbotshr.com. Assure content is accurate and current. Assure site adds value and provides a positive experience for associates.
- Partner with Cigna to develop and implement employee wellness programs and activities designed to improve employee health and well being. Work closely with broker and health care vendors to ensure employees understand and are taking advantage of their health plans. Manage on-site Wellness Coach and oversee various wellness events held at corporate locations throughout the year.
- Analyze monthly results against plan to establish trends, opportunities, concerns
- Develop and manage spending to department budget; Direct invoice process.
- Manage staff in daily operations of programs/plans. Ensure appropriate customer service levels are maintained. Provide appropriate training and employee development for staff.
- Build strong vendor relationships. Hold staff and vendors accountable, leverage their strengths in establishing strategies and programs proactively, address issues and service gaps.
Dimensions: (Where appropriate, describe the type of decisions the position will make and the impact the decisions will have on the organization; describe the type of influence the position will have (e.g. position will provide information, act as consultant, lead a group, etc.)
- Will act as subject matter expert on H&W and Retirement Benefits
- Will prepare federal filings on timely basis, protecting company from late penalties
- Will ensure benefit programs administered according to state/federal laws.
Internal and External Relationships:
Internal: Associates, Department Managers, VP+ levels, HR, counsel, stores
External: Benefit vendors, brokers, counsel
Number of Direct Reports and Titles
Sr. Benefits Specialist(s)
Bachelors degree in Business or related field
12+ years experience in Human Resources/Benefits
Experience managing benefits staff.
Knowledge & experience administering health, life, disability, 401(k), Pension, Def Benefit plans.
Strong interpersonal skills
Strong oral and written communications skills, including presentation skills
Knowledge/experience with Benefit regulations and laws (ACA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, ERISA)
Experience with design and implementation of wellness programs
Experience writing for the Web is a plus.
Community / Marketing Title: Director of Benefits
Talbots is a leading omni-channel specialty retailer of women's clothing, shoes and accessories. Established in 1947, the company is known for modern classic style that's both timeless and timely, fine quality craftsmanship and gracious service. At Talbots relationships are the key to our business, we hire individuals who bring new ideas to the table, understand smart risk taking and can enhance an already thriving culture. With a commitment to offer modern classic style for every body type, through a full range of sizes, inclusive to every woman in your life.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Talbots is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. Hiring decisions are based upon a candidate's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration and are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category protected by applicable law. Talbots is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to perform the essential duties of the position you are seeking or to participate in the application process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Talbots will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified applicants or employees, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business.
PositionType_Description: Full Time
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hingham, Massachusetts US