Location: Hingham, Massachusetts US
Job Number: 6938
Position Title: VP Merchandising
The Vice President, Merchandising, will be a highly collaborative partner and work with Senior Management to set the merchandising strategies and assortments to meet or exceed the sales, margin and inventory. He/she will communicate effectively with the team and with key functional leaders, linking the merchandising department to the production, design, planning, marketing, e-commerce & CRM departments to drive profitability.
- Serves as the key merchandising leader for the Talbots brand for the Women’s category with accountability for partnering with leadership to develop and deliver “customer right” product resulting in top-line growth and bottom line profitability. He/she will be integral to all strategic growth discussions, including the definition and execution of the three year merchandising plan that supports the overall company’s three year growth initiatives.
- Partners with the CEO and SVP, Design to develop and implement a compelling and unique seasonal product assortment to align with the company’s vision. Applies strategic and analytical thinking in creating a product roadmap that supports the continued growth of Talbots’ multi-channel expansion.
- Manages the merchandising calendar in adherence to product development and merchandising process and catalog production cycle.
- Maintains a pulse on the competition to ensure company’s relevance in the marketplace and to identify new areas of opportunity for growth.
- Develops in-depth knowledge of the customer, anticipating her demands and determining what is “next” by closely following their consumer behavior patterns and aspirations, influences and relationship to the brand.
- Researches and monitors fashion trends (color, fabrication, texture, trim, wash, silhouette, styling, construction). Condenses this information into an overall seasonal development strategy and effectively drives product creation that differentiates Talbots from its competition.
- Provides visionary leadership to the merchandising department. Hires, reviews, and modifies the department staff as necessary to assure qualitative and quantitative goals are being met.
- Collaborates with cross-functional business partners to develop strategies for customer acquisition and loyalty which enhance the Talbots brand and result in increased store sales and online growth, ensuring product strategies marry up to how the customer wants to shop today in an omni-channel setting.
- Partners with marketing and digital teams to develop seasonal strategies and promotions for brick and mortar, catalog and the e-commerce site.
- Partners with visual and stores teams to ensure the look and feel of stores is consistent with merchandising direction.
- Serves as a brand champion with the utmost respect for the authenticity of the brand and a positive contributor to the Talbots culture of collaboration and communication.
Internal and External Relationships:
- Senior Vice President, Design
- Senior Vice President, Planning, Allocation & Merchandising Analytics
- Senior Vice President, Marketing
- Senior Vice President/General Merchandise Manager, Outlet
- Senior Vice President, Supply Chain
- Senior Vice President, E-Commerce & CRM
- Senior Vice President, Merchandising, Core (Missy / Petites)
Number of Direct Reports and Titles:
- Director, Merchandising
- Merchandise Managers
- Proven leader with 10+ years of experience as a successful Merchant; possess professional maturity, industry credibility and a proven track record of success achieving growth and overseeing brand development.
- Possess a relentless focus and passion for the product and customer with the ability to surprise and delight by exceeding expectations and continuous improvement.
- Proactive and anticipatory merchant who considers customer preferences while balancing the overall brand aesthetic and achievement of the desired financial objectives.
- Possess the necessary experience, versatility and agility needed to navigate a complex multi-size intensive environment with monthly product flow into the stores.
- Highly collaborative partner and inspiring leader who can communicate effectively with the team and key functional leaders, linking merchandising to the production, planning, marketing, & CRM departments to drive profitability.
- Brings best-in-class merchandising discipline and well-rounded merchandising acumen including functional experience in assortment planning, buying, product development, trend, pricing, and lifecycle management.
- Possesses strong management skills, demonstrated by the ability to identify, motivate and retain a talented team.
- Strong merchant leader who balances financial acumen, excellent analytical skills, strategic thinking and problem solving skills with creativity and passion for product and a commercial eye.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel assigned to this job.
Community / Marketing Title: VP Merchandising
Talbots is a leading omni-channel specialty retailer of women's clothing, shoes and accessories. Established in 1947, the company is known for modern classic style that's both timeless and timely, fine quality craftsmanship and gracious service. At Talbots relationships are the key to our business, we hire individuals who bring new ideas to the table, understand smart risk taking and can enhance an already thriving culture. With a commitment to offer modern classic style for every body type, through a full range of sizes, inclusive to every woman in your life.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Talbots is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. Hiring decisions are based upon a candidate's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration and are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category protected by applicable law. Talbots is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to perform the essential duties of the position you are seeking or to participate in the application process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Talbots will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified applicants or employees, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business.
PositionType_Description: Full Time
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hingham, Massachusetts US